Everyone needs to know how to cook a steak properly. It’s not as hard as people think, but the second time you cook it will always be better than the first!
- Season the steak just before cooking with a generous amount of sea salt flakes. No pepper at this stage as it will burn in the pan!
- Heat a teaspoon of rapeseed/canola oil (or another oil with a high smoke point) in a heavy non-stick frying pan on a high heat.
- Place the steak into the pan (away from you) when the oil is searing hot.
- Leave alone for 2-3 minutes to form a good sear on one side.
- Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side for medium-rare. You should never be cooking a steak more than medium-rare.
Have a look at the photo guide below.
for medium-rare, touch your thumb to your middle finger. Feel the fleshy muscle at the base of your thumb. When cooked medium-rare, the steak in the pan should feel the same. Err on the side of being a little underdone, as the steak will keep cooking slightly whilst it is resting!
(poached, scrambled, omelette)
FISH (pan-fried, oven-baked)
PORK (pan-fried bacon, pork belly)